A Court of Wings and Ruin Review

This has been the hardest couple months of my life when it comes to reading. I started this book back in June or July and I finished it today (The day I started writing this review XD). Lets see if I can get back into my groove because I haven't read anything but this this month. Also I'm going to do this review a little differently because there is a lot that I want to talk about. Also its pretty late so if there are any mistakes (there are always a lot) I apologize for them in advance. So lets get to it!!
  


Rating: 4/5

Non- Spoilery Section:

The book was really good. I wouldn't expect anything less than 4 stars for Sarah J. Maas. She is a Queen. I obviously did have some problems with it and that's why it wasn't a full 5 stars but other than that, yeah, it was great. That's all I have to say for the non- spoilery section of this review so if you haven't read the book, please go read it then come back.



Spoiler Section
*** There are some bad words in here so beware***


Let’s begin at the beginning (obviously). I don't know about you guys but I was ready for a ton of shit to go down, but guess what? We got about 100 pages of Feyre ignoring very important things and being Hella proud of her "acting" skills... WHAT THE HELL FEYRE?! Now let me just say I didn't hate the beginning at all. I really enjoyed it and I'm glad that the Spring Court part of the story didn't last too long.

I really loved the very first line of the first chapter " The painting was a lie", right then and there my expectations were set high, especially with how ACOMAF ended, and everything that was being set up throughout that book. I loved seeing Feyre play the sheep and twist everyone's thoughts about Tamlin, ugh it was beautiful. I mean Tamlin deserved it all and honestly how did he expect to come out unscathed when he pretty much sold out all of Prythian for "love"? The worse thing was, now that Feyre is more aware of all the wrong Tamlin has done to her, it makes me realize that he’s 100000% worse than I thought. And I think SJM tried to, in a way, redeem him. Even though she did a poor job and Tamlin was a total dick in this book. So, when Feyre pulled in that bitch (Spring Court) and tore it up, I WAS HERE FOR IT!!!

The only thing that made me even happier was when Lucien finally decided to be a decent fey- being and help her escape that retched court. He finally saw his High Lord for the monster he was--by working with Hybern-- and decided to help her out, I was so happy because Lucien was a favorite of mine. And then those Autumn Court bitches showed up and I was so angry. Like Lucien's brothers are so terrible to him and I obviously know why now but at the time I didn't understand at all! I wonder if they all knew that Helion was his dad and obviously Lucien did it so that’s why he never understood why they hated him. But anyway... Those demon children literally killed my soul because they were trying to hurt my kids, so when Cassian and Azriel showed up I screamed because I knew they were going to be okay. All I wanted throughout the book was for Feyre to be happy at the Court of Dreams with the Inner Circle, so when her and Rhysand were reunited I was again HERE FOR IT!

At the same time that entire middle part of the book was a little slow. It focused too much on the family dynamic between the Inner Circle, The Archeon sisters, and Lucien, while also focusing too much on the romantic relationships. I think it was so unnecessary considering there was so much that happened in the last 200 pages, SJM could have used that to make the end seem less rushed and sloppy. I was sort of okay with it because we got to know each character a little more, but I feel that there could have been a little more put into that part of the story. I’m not entirely sure what, but something was missing. It was nice to see Nesta and Elain slowly open up and accept themselves as fey. Especially with Elain, I mean she was pretty much like an empty water bottle in the beginning. It was nice to see her open up to Azriel and see him pretty much become like a big brother to her. It was cute and it was also refreshing too not see him pining over someone who doesn’t even want him… I’m talking about you Mor! But in all honesty now that I know she prefers to be with females I understand her. One thing I didn’t understand was why she never told them. I mean these are her closest friends, her family, I don’t get how she could let someone love her like that and just always put them aside. I don’t hate her for it but it’s just something I will never understand.

Now onto the good stuff starting with the attack on the library in Velaris. I expected something to happen because literally nothing was happening and they were constantly planning and searching for everything that happened in the Spring Court, how could I not? I really liked the setting for the attack because as well as being terrifying for the characters, in a small way it’s scary for us too because us readers think of bookstores and libraries as a safe place like the priestesses did.  To have that violated made that scene even more real for me and I loved it even though it wasn’t very intense. And then we have the beast below the library… I totally forgot about it until Feyre mentioned it on her way down there. And then you know… she made the deals…. I’m a proud mother!

Okay now let’s be real. That last quarter of the book was a literal shitstorm. So much was happening too quickly, power was being used up constantly, Az and Cass taking turns stopping my heart by getting hurt. I mean really! Cassian got hurt WAAAYY too many times and I was so sure they were going to do a Walking Dead thing.


*** Warning!! The Walking Dead Spoilers Ahead!!!***

I mean with Glenn. Throughout the entire series they put him in situations where he could have easily died but then they decided in the 7th season to finally kill him in the worst way possible (for me at least).


***End***

But we were honestly very lucky when it came to those two characters. I’ve grown so attached to the inner circle its almost ridiculous so every time one of them were hurt I was reduced to tears.
Speaking of near death experiences, that battle in Adriatta was just… I honestly didn’t expect too much to happen in that battle, Feyre and Mor were kicking ass and taking names! They had me shook to the core but when Feyre went into Rhys’ head and saw the king, my heart stopped!! I was 100% with Feyre and I was screaming for Rhys to kill the son of a bitch! That is until I found out he was just a projection…. I’m sure you can imagine my disappointment at the information. In a way, I was glad because Rhys wouldn’t have been able to fight him with his depleted magic. Which again seemed to be a theme in the story. I don’t get it.

Another thing that seemed to come up a lot was Tamlin the tool being a jealous little bitch. Especially when he showed up to the meeting in the Dawn Court. Come on man! I know he was mad but he literally used that time to cry about his broken heart and try to discredit the Night Court. Get off your high horse Tamlin. You weren’t anything compared to Rhysand anyway! Another thing that bothered me was that he pretty much didn’t acknowledge the fact that he was a traitor to the country because he was so worried about seeming like a tough guy. Dude get over yourself… The meeting wasn’t about you and no one even invited you! 


So, when Rhys took his ability to speak, of course, I was shooketh! I laughed so hard that I cried because he really did need to shut his damned mouth. But then Beorn the douche bag had to open his mouth and in a way forced Feyre to use her power. Man f*ck that guy and his bastards!!! If I was Feyre I would have attacked him too. He was being a dick what did he expect to happen? But in the end, I’m glad most of them decided to band together which we all knew was going to happen anyway.

When the final battle started I immediately wanted to stop reading. The odds were against my babies and they barely had an army, I wasn’t ready at all. The book was getting close to the ending and I didn’t want a repeat of Empire of Storms. You all know what I mean right? I mean the king started using the cauldron and Prythian’s armies were barely holding on… I was ready for it all to go bad and not get better but then 


Myriam and Drakon’s armies show up with the Cursed queen and Papa Archeon. I was pissed because the story was changing into something more positive. Not only that, but they showed up out of nowhere, and their reasons for showing up made absolutely no sense! Then on top of that when it finally came down to finally get to the Cauldron to Nullify it, Nesta and Elain decided to get sick. One thing that bothered me was that when her and Amren decide to go Nesta is suddenly well enough to distract the king… WHAT? On top of that, Amren just out of NOWHERE being like oh BTW I betrayed you… BITCH EXUSE ME WHAT?!?!? For a second I thought she sold them out but I was glad to learn of the real reason she did it. At that same time, too The King was decapitated WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!

My number one problem with the book though, and the reason I took off a star, was because of the way everything went down after that. You know Amren became her true self and died… like what the hell man. And she also shattered the damn Cauldron! Come on! But the one thing that got on my nerves was the part where Feyre and Rhys were fixing the Cauldron with their magic and Rhys kept saying I love you. I knew then he was going to die and I cried all over my book. Feyre finally saw him and my heart broke. I had to stop reading. I cried for so long and in some way, I was hoping the rest of the book would have something to do with his death. When I finally got back to that shit, he was back in the next chapter!! I threw my book because not only was writing that a waste but it also was pointless! What is the point of killing a character when their death isn’t even long enough to seem meaningful?! JFC! I feel like Rhysand’s death was ultimately there for the benefit of Tamlin’s character… NO Fuck no! Tamlin was already made to be the villain, there’s no turning back from that! He’s already been deemed unforgivable! Then after all that everything was sunshine and Daisies, except for Nesta of course who seemed to be the only one grieving their father???? TF?! He was literally the only consequence for anyone in the book! His death was useless!!! 

I hated that so I took off a whole star for it.


But anyway, this is a little long so let me end this right here and right now… Bye!!! 

Comments

Popular Posts