King's Cage Review

I know... I FINALLY FINISHED A BOOK!!! Well more like struggled though it but I'm glad I did because King's Cage was one of my most anticipated books... by the way this is going to have spoilers because I need to talk about this.

Title: King's Cage (Red Queen #3)
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Rating: 3.5/5
Quote: "Stupid people are easier to control."
Synopsis: Mare Barrow is a prisoner, powerless without her lightning, tormented by her lethal mistakes. She lives at the mercy of a boy she once loved, a boy made of lies and betrayal. Now a king, Maven Calore continues weaving his dead mother's web in an attempt to maintain control over his country—and his prisoner. As Mare bears the weight of Silent Stone in the palace, her once-ragtag band of newbloods and Reds continue organizing, training, and expanding. They prepare for war, no longer able to linger in the shadows. And Cal, the exiled prince with his own claim on Mare's heart, will stop at nothing to bring her back. When blood turns on blood, and ability on ability, there may be no one left to put out the fire—leaving Norta as Mare knows it to burn all the way down
My Thoughts: Okay to be honest I still don't know how I feel about this book. I mean I really liked the first half because so much was happening and we were learning so much about why Maven is the way he is... but then the book took a turn .Mare was back with the Scarlet Guard, and the story just got boring. I personally don't ship Mare and Cal so I wasn't so thrilled with that but the one thing that bothered me the most is that he went from being a shaky ally to the love of her life in the couple months she was in captivity. Those couple months which she in fact didn't even really think about him. She was so focused on "hating" Maven so how????? And honestly I think the time she spent with him made her hate him even less no matter how much she says she wants to kill him... because I feel like she could have done it a bunch of times and never did. I felt bad for Maven after hearing about what his mother did to him and if you all have read my reviews on the other books, you know that I love Maven. I think Mares jabs at him make me like him even more even though what he did in Glass Sword and some of the stuff he did in this book made me mad at him. Maven is just one of those characters I sympathize with even though hes not exactly "Good".
Now lets get to other things.... Like the fact that in the second half of the book literally nothing happened!!! That's what has me confused if I really like it or not because the second half of books are what really make it or break it for me (If I like it enough to get passed the first few chapters). That whole second half was just Mare and Cal training and having sex and doing absolutely nothing until all of a sudden Mavens armies are looking for a fight....  WHAT?!!?!?! I mean small things happened like Farley had Shades baby... sad. and there are other newbloods like Mare... wow. But that's it.. And the ending GOSH!! Can you be less obvious!!!
I'm talking about the Epilogue.... I mean we all pretty much knew that someone was going to try to put Cal on the throne. I mean MARE WAS LITERALLY IN THE CASTLE WHEN THEY TRIED TO KILL MAVEN AND THEY SAID SOMETHING ALONG THE LINES OF " LONG LIVE THE KING TIBERIAS CALORE VII" Did she really think they wouldn't try to make him king??? Also he was pretty much made to be the king... Did she think he would give up who he is?? I get that they "love" each other but come on... It isn't real. Hes like her rebound x2! I just cant with their relationship and I'm glad its over because it gives Mare a chance to work on her crap. AND MAYBE FIND A DECENT GUY THAT ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT HER!!!! *cough* Kilorn *Cough* I don't really ship it but hes a good guy and even though things weren't perfect he tried to be there for her despite his limitations and she always put him to the side because she was blinded by those Hot ass Princes. *sigh* I need to end this here because this is basically a rant... I'm just confused about this so maybe when the next book comes out I'll feel better about the events in this book. I did say I liked the first half but the second half really dragged it down for me. So yeah... That's all for now. Okay... Bye!!!
Links: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30226723-king-s-cage

Comments

Popular Posts