An Ember in the Ashes Review

Hello everyone its me! The girl that never posts!!! Television has taken over my life, I cant help it. After I finished watching Sherlock this month, I started watching Doctor Who and got back to watching Shameless. On the bright side after 80 years of not finding the motivation to read I have it... So that's a good thing. Anyway let me just get to this review




Title: An Ember in the Ashes
Author: Sabaa Tahir
Rating: 3.5/5
Synopsis: Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free. Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear. It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do. But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy. There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.
Quote: “I'd rather die than live with no mercy, no honor, no soul.”
My Thoughts: I've been trying to finish this book for about a month and yesterday is when I got passed the first 100 pages. The thing is though, the first hundred pages aren't boring but my mind at the time was just like "Put it down and watch Doctor Who..." so I did. I kinda regret it... I wish I would have finished this sooner because its actually a pretty good book. Also the fact that I didn't really care for most of the characters didn't ruin the story for me. Usually if I hate the characters I'll stop reading the book... or sometimes finish it but I wont remember anything about the book except that the characters sucked which wasn't the case. There's still time for the characters to grow on me. One character stood out to me though... The Commandant. That woman is a straight savage and not in a nice way. She's cruel and mean and I think I like her ( I know shes a villain..). Other than that the story pulled me in from the beginning even though it didn't really get a huge reaction out of me like I expected, it didn't disappoint. I the world was built really well the maps were beautiful,action parts were pretty crazy especially more towards the end. Jeez! I have no idea why this is hard for me to type out! To put it simple I liked the book and I think that there is a lot more to one that could make me love it. By the way I've already started the second book... I'm going to take it slow though because I want to be able to keep reading and posting reviews... so I'll see you hopefully in the near future!
Links: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27774758-an-ember-in-the-ashes
https://www.amazon.com/Ember-Ashes-Sabaa-Tahir/dp/1595148043/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1483077012&sr=1-1&keywords=an+ember+in+the+ashes

Also let me just add this... I'm more active on Instagram and Tumblr so if you want to follow me please feel free to do so...

Instagram
Tumblr

Comments

Popular Posts