City of Bones Review

Finally after almost 2 weeks of trying to read this I finished!! That was so hard to do! Also I feel in love with the covers for the series when I got them, They are gorgeous!!!! By the way this is spoiler free. I'm pretty sure I didn't add any spoilers... 



Title: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments 1)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Rating: 3/5 ( I put a 2/5 on Goodreads because that's based on their rating system) 
Synopsis: When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy? This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...
Quote: “It means 'Shadowhunters: Looking Better in Black Than the Widows of our Enemies Since 1234'.”
My Thoughts: When I first picked up this book I tried to let go of everyone's opinions on the book so I could form my own. I can see why this book, for so many people, is either a hit or miss. There is something about it that just didn't really hook me. Maybe it was the writing... I didn't like just being told they are here they did that... I like to form a picture in my head where they are, what they look like, and what the surrounding area looked like. Maybe that was the problem and also i feel like no matter how hard it wanted to the book just couldn't be full of action. The action scenes were bland or used I don't know but I didn't feel any sense of excitement while reading (The main reason it took me 9 days to read.)

I couldn't connect with any of the characters especially Clary... I actually don't like her character she was so naive and annoying. Also how did she and Simon get into Pandemonium if they are only 15 and 16? Anyway none of the characters stood out to me because the weren't realistic enough to connect with. Like with Sjm's characters even though they are totally a fake species there is something real about them that makes readers connect and care for them where this book lacked that. I'm not comparing them because they are totally different but I feel like with the whole story literally taking place in the real world we could have been given some more realistic characters. I also didn't like how some important characters felt like background characters. It bothered me that everything was about the Romance between Clary and Jace and nothing else. Like I spent 485 pages with characters I didn't know or didn't care for not matter how many times their backgrounds were explained. I didn't like them being forced on me. Especially since I don't ship them at all.
But with the way things turned out (Which I kinda knew was going to happen..) I don't have to worry about Jace wanting to kiss Clary but not doing it and Clary being obsessed with Jace... at least for now. And Luke was probably the only character I liked in the whole book so far.

Also I hate saying this but even though the movie was so bad it was better than the book. (I know that was mean... sorry.) Also even though the show went in some other direction I love it and I can connect with those characters better. One last thing too... Malec is my life!!! <3

The book wasn't awful. I know what I said made it seem that way. It's just that there was nothing special about this book. It wasn't exciting or fun for me to read. It wasn't boring either. It was just meh. It could have been written so much better. Also I found A LOT of typos which was so annoying.

If you loved this book and you feel totally offended by what I had to say sorry but I'm entitled to my own opinion and that's what it is.
Links: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/256683.City_of_Bones

Comments

Popular Posts