Empire of Storms Review/Rant

I finally was sane enough after catching up on Gotham to read... I regret my choices. Deeply. My Rant will explain soon enough.


Title: Empire of Storms
Author: Sarah J. Freaking Maas
Pages: 689 pages for the story itself but there is an exclusive in the back.
Rating: 5/5
Synopsis: The long path to the throne has only just begun for Aelin Galathynius. Loyalties have been broken and bought, friends have been lost and gained, and those who possess magic find themselves at odds with those who don't. As the kingdoms of Erilea fracture around her, enemies must become allies if Aelin is to keep those she loves from falling to the dark forces poised to claim her world. With war looming on all horizons, the only chance for salvation lies in a desperate quest that may mark the end of everything Aelin holds dear. Aelin's journey from assassin to queen has entranced millions across the globe, and this fifth installment will leave fans breathless. Will Aelin succeed in keeping her world from splintering, or will it all come crashing down?
Quote: I specifically wrote this quote down because it hurt and made me happy at the same time.  " I love you. There is no limit to what I can give to you, no time I need. Even when this world is a forgotten whisper of dust between the stars, I will love you." Page 350.
My Thoughts (Spoiler Free): This book was really really good! I was so happy about that because although I did like Queen of Shadows it was a little boring. So to finally be back on that emotional roller coaster throughout the whole book was good. It was steamy and it hurt, it made me happy and sad and it made me want to murder fictional characters. That's it that's the spoiler free review I guess....

Before we get started here are some visual representations of my reactions while reading the book.

These gifs are in order based on the events in the story.






Many chapters later.... 






And then the end...... 






I am the explosion by the way.


SPOILERS!!!!


What I'm putting below is some of what I put on Goodreads after finishing the book at 3 in the morning.


ALL OF MY OTPS WERE RIPPED APART EXCEPT FOR MANON AND DORIAN! LIKE WHAT KIND OF MONSTER DOES THAT TO SOMEONE?!?!?! ON TOP OF THAT ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WAS RESOLVED NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT!!! I'M JUST BAFFLED AT HOW EVERYTHING WENT DOWN! And of course I knew some things would not be in their favor but it was like NOTHING was in their favor except for the assassin's and her friends fleet!

Aedion and Lyssandra were like ripped apart and now Aedion like HATES Lyssandra! I can't deal with that! After all of the flirting and tip toeing around each other I CANNOT DEAL!!! I don't think he should be mad at her at all! He knows that she's serving her Queen just like he would've done so????????

And Maeve.... that stupid turd goblin! She's pathetic!!!! She's so scared that she took the cowards way to capture Aelin... Waiting til she was powerless and alone!! I feel like not even the worst Villains do that but she did and I have a deep hatred in my heard for her! She made me feel a hatred I only had for Amarantha! I don't even know how to describe it but I want to kill her myself! (yes I know she's fictional... Doesn't make me want to kill her less).

Aelin giving herself up for everyone made me really sad! As she told Elide what to tell everyone I cried my eyes out to the point of dehydration. Also... Nehemia... oh my goodness I was so sad when the mirror showed the memory of her! I have made a very serious bond with these characters so their pain is my pain and I can't deal!

One last thing that really broke me.... Maeve having Cairn WHIP AELIN RAW... then... throw her in that gods damned box!



Now that I am calmer I can type this hopefully without getting mad...


  • Manon killing the witch to save Dorian. Everyone knew something would happen between them I mean they had a connection from the moment they met. So when she killed one of her own to save him of course I was happy. I was extra happy when Rowan  (My prince child husband) showed up to help and didn't kill her. 
  • Manon and the Matron... WHAT THE HELL?! I hated that the Matron wanted to kill Asterin as payment for some dumb low ranked Yellowlegs witch! But when Manon Swung at her grandmother oh my goodness!! I thought she struck home but then she missed and I got so nervous for her... I'm just glad her Thirteen were so loyal to her...
  • Elide and Lorcan... It's no lie that Lorcan is a butt hole but when he met Elide and their relationship matured he changed and they just *Sighs and cries* When they first kissed in the Stone Marshes and they were about to ya know... but then the STUPID ILKEN!!!!!! I was so angry!
  • Rowan and Aelin getting TOGETHER for the first time.... That was so steamy I just couldn't deal... It was also so romantic and I cried of course... Ive been waiting for that moment for a while now and since it happened I can't let go of how much they love each other how connected they are (they are mates after all). They are like the Throne of Glass version of Snow White and Prince Charming. 
  • Aides and Lyssandra... Can I get a woot woot!!! No because they no longer are on speaking terms... Like I said in the pink section Aedion has no right to be mad at her. She is serving her queen just like he would! So what gives him the right to stop speaking to her? 
  • Lorna and Elide again... Okay WDF I honestly don't know what they heck he was thinking when he betrayed Aelin and her court by telling Maeve where they were. He really couldn't expect Elide not to be angry either. She spent her whole life wondering if her queen is still alive Hoping! and finally finding her to find out the guy she liked or loved Whatever betrayed them... Like that is her whole life and all he thought about was that monster Maeve.
  • AEDION SAYING HE WANTED TO MARRY LYSSANDRA!
  • Darrow... you all know what I mean... I have never been so angry at a character! 
  • Gavriel and Aedion... I just want them to be happy! To be a family! Hopefully we will get it in the next book because I need it. You could see Aedion warming up to him slowly throughout the book. 
  • The Quote I put above though... Broke my heart and put it back together many times...
  • Every time Rowan and Aelin did it!
  • MANON AND DORIAN ON THE BOAT!!!!!! 
  • "Then finish what you started" Right? RIGHT????
  • The battle with the 500 Ilken 
  • Ansel and her fleet!
  • The Silent Assassins!
  • Maeve taking advantage of Aelin's burnout pissed me off! Like what a weak troll! Cant even fight a fair fight because she knows she will lose! And you know what that act of Cowardice says a lot about Aelin's power even though people aren't supposed to know she's gone!
  • My baby Rowan being so broken and defeated!
  • Chapter 75 was so hard to start because it was just him kneeling in the sand looking out into the sea. 
  • Thinking Aelin was pregnant and freaking out with Rowan! 
  • Aelin getting whipped by that F****** monster! I was in full on rage mode! I wanted to burn the book but I also wanted to finish it! I was screaming for Rowan to show up on time and he didn't I was waiting for anything to help her! and nothing happened she was taken and I cried for her and all of the characters that go left behind. The things she tole Elide to tell them Oh my goodness.
  • The fact that there were still so many pages left in the book but that was the end and nothing  was resolved! We don't even have a clue where she went and my poor Rowan is going to go out of his mind trying to find her!

I still can't read the exclusive content because the wounds are still so fresh... I can't read them being together again because I will cry and the words will be blurry and Illegible and I will die because its from Heir of Fire... The book where they first met!!!! 







Comments

Popular Posts