Bates Motel Season 1&2 Review


Let me start off by saying that the show as a whole in my opinion deserves a Rating of 4/5

So this show is about a boy names Norman Bates and the whole show is a contemporary prequel to the movie/ novel "Psycho". Norman Bates is played by Freddie Highmore whom you may recognize from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Obviously it is a show giving you back story on how Norman spiraled into craziness (hes a psychopath) hence the name of the movie.... Norman and his mother Norma Bates move to a fictional town by the name of White Pines after the death of Normans father. The show emphasizes the strong connection Norman has with his mother and her past and how that effected Norman and the events that unfold throughout the show. 

Okay! So lets get on with this shall we? What I love about this show besides the fact that its so gripping and suspenseful is the fact that the show doesn't go straight into the messiness that lies underneath the surface of the characters but it makes it seem like everything is normal. As the show begins we meet Norman and Norma and at first glance it seems like they are completely out of their own time and stuck in the 1960's. So with that I like how they're kind of nudging the viewer like hey! there's a movie from the 1960's get it? Anyways the first season is where I'm staring obviously! 

It starts decent enough you start to see weird things starting to happen to Norman and you're like okay... I guess its normal considering what just happened. But it gets even weirder because Norman starts getting stranger and stranger. I know I should expect it especially with everything that happens in Psycho.. Speaking of that if you haven't watched it please do its equally creepy and funny. 


That's whats funny... 
Back to what I was saying so Norman  starts acting weirder and weirder everyday and it worries mother a little bit but she brushes it off as nothing as a way to hide it from the public. She knows something is wrong with him but all she cares about is her reputation she she wont get him help. 
I need to stop paraphrasing the show basically and just tell you my thoughts. 


Season 1
My Thoughts: Season 1 was really good and different. I came across this show after finishing Sons of Anarchy (which by the way is the best show ever) and Breaking Bad (another awesome show) because I needed something to fill the empty space in my heart. Ill admit it was a little unsure about the show at first considering there was a rape in the first episode but once I got passed that and the show began to unfold little by little I was pulled in. 

Norman is such a complex character hes split between being his mother who is insane and kills people and regular old Norman who wants to be normal and good but its so difficult when his mother is always whispering over his shoulder. Its so insane how there are so many layers to each character and all their backgrounds and as the show goes on you grow to love and hate so many characters. I like that even though the show is about Norman and His mother and his decent towards insanity its also about the people around him and their actions and how they shape him as a person. So awesome watch the show. 

Likes:
  • With the way they show is the producers (or whoever does the show stuff) aren't afraid to put situations that most TV shows wouldn't show. It makes the TV show fresh and new to me at least.
  • Dylan Masset, Norma's son from another man. Basically Normans half-brother. He is so awesome and he doesn't take any of Norma's crap. Hes straight forward and doesn't need Norma to baby him like she does with Norman to get things done. 
  • Emma! Shes so cute and she is literally the light in the show. That one ray of sunshine in the S***storm that is Bates Motel. 
  • Sheriff Romero is the king of sass! It took me a while to start to like him because he was so rude after some stuff happened and the Bates were suspected of being involved. 
  • The show isn't fluffy. They get into serious/ dark topics like Mental Illness and prostitution and murder. I need that after spending half my life watching Glee. 
  • The season finale was so intense I was just glad season 2 was on Netflix.
  • The acting is so great especially on Freddie's part. Hes so into his character its amazing. Its like he is Norman but you know minus the crazy murderer part. 

Dislikes: 
  • Norma is such a manipulative B**** like stop already! Shes constantly trying to manipulate people to get what she wants instead of asking so most times she ends up looking stupid.
  • Norman because hes freaking weird and creepy. Like I know hes crazy but when he has one of his episodes its just enough to make me paranoid.  
  • Bradley
If you have not seen season 1 do not continue this contains spoilers.
Season 2

My Thoughts:  This season was even better than the first and we finally get to dive into what Norman is suffering and how he changes as he slowly goes crazy and starts doing things that are unimaginable and he doesn't remember any of it because "his mother did it". He kills someone important in this season I believe and it is so intense because he really truly believes he didn't do it. 
Likes:
  • The relationship I hope will form between Norma and Alex. Even though I hate Norma's guts. 
  • Again Dylan Masset. He is a gift! The funniest character in the show even though you know  deep down inside hes just lonely and needs a big fat hug.
  • When Norman dresses as Norma and calls Dylan down for breakfast and Dylan's reaction to his crazy ass brother is priceless. 
  • Romero being a bad ass
  • Romero helping Norma even though she doesn't deserve it. 
  • The way Romero looks at Norma
  • The very intense and frustrating almost kiss between Romero and Norma
  • Romero... I obviously like him a lot. 

Dislikes:
  • Again Norma that's basically it. 
  • And Bradley shes a pain in the butt. 


I will post the season 3 review soon but its so late and I need sleep so I will stop it here. 

Comments

Popular Posts